Although Saint Patrick is the Patron Saint of Ireland, people around the world observe the 17th March, eagerly celebrating ‘St Patrick’s Day’ with gusto. So what can we do to celebrate here in Hong Kong? At Glitter and Gore we know that, in the deepest realms of the Kong, time is a mysterious creature – so here are some quick and simple St. Patrick’s Day fun ideas!
Despite many of us loving getting our bake on, it can be a bit of a hassle in the small and oven-less (or oven in the sense that most of us are accustomed to) kitchens of Hong Kong. So lets keep the food stuffs easy (also great for little hands that want to join in too)!!
- This Leprechaun Popcorn (aka Leprechaun Lunch) recipe from ‘Mom Foodie’ is super simple, sounds pretty tasty and can be adapted to use whatever bits and bobs you’ve got in the cupboard or can find in Citysuper!
- These ‘Luck of the Irish’ Rice Krispie treats, like above, can easily be re-envisioned depending on what’s available to you – you could even use cornflakes instead of Rice Krispies.
- Want something a bit healthier than all these refined sugary treats? Why not try a fruit salad using all green fruits, or maybe a Rainbow Fruit Platter?
As soon as you look at St Patrick’s Day craft on Pinterest there’s a plethora of homemade crafts and things to do which, although amazing, could take you what feels like a lifetime to complete! So here’s a few simple and easy things to make that won’t make you feel like you need a PhD in Life Sciences in order to complete them!
- This Hand Print Shamrock painting will keep everyone happy! For the little people it’s a little bit messy but for the big people it’s not so messy that you’ll spend the rest of the weekend clearing up (probably!).
- This Slime Recipe is pretty simple and, again, you can change around the glitter and confetti to fit with you. We’re pretty sure that the big people will enjoy this just as much as the little people, even if they don’t want to admit it!!
- Have fun with friends or the little people taking photos in your own St Patrick’s Day photo booth! There are hundreds of free printables online or make your own! After a Baileys and that Leprechaun Popcorn, funny faces won’t be hard to come by!
Going to a St. Patrick’s Day Party? Got a few friends coming round for a Guiness or two? Or want to share the Paddy’s Day fun with your little ones – here’s some fun games for all the family!
- Check out this super cute Leprechaun Visit idea! It can be jazzed up for an adult version perhaps using whisky rather than chocolate and gold coins – a fun addition for a home or pub party.
- Try a super fun scavenger hunt! This Green Scavenger Hunt is a hunt for all things green but you can change it up to suit your audience and space.
- A set of the ‘5 Best Irish Drinking Games’, probably best not to involve the little people in this one, although measures cold be taken to make them into non-alcoholic games if you really wanted to.
Want to go out and be entertained?
- Family friendly event, The Irish Village, is presented by Delayneys at Cyberport. The Arcade, Cyberport, 17th March, 6pm – midnight – FREE admission! Live music, comedy and Irish dancing plus giveaways and lots of laughs!
- Definitely not one for the little people, St Patrick’s Day Improv Comedy, presented by TBC at Orange Peel, LKF will be encouraging comedy through drinking games for both performers and audience! 17th March, 9.30pm – 11pm – $120
- One for the big partiers amongst us, Paddy’s Week at Rula Bula, kicks off at 12pm on 17th March with FREE admission. Live Irish music, discounted drinks, Irish snacks, Leprechaun hats, and prizes throughout the night!
Whatever you do on St Patrick’s Day may your pockets be heavy and your hearts be light!!
The Glitter and Gore Team 🙂