As tomorrow is ‘International Talk Like a Pirate Day’ (every 19th September) we thought no better person pirate to chat with than our very own Captain Gan Green!!
Read on to learn more about our FUNtastic sea friend and don’t forget to check back tomorrow for a special ‘pirate talk’ lesson from Gan Green himself!!
1. Tell us a little bit about yourself.
Ahoy! I’m Cap’n Gan Green! So called cause when I was born me face was screwed up like I had foot rot. I’m the eldest of a single child family and my favourite letter of the alphabet is R.
2. How long have you been in Hong Kong and what do you like about it?
I’ve been in and out of Hong Kong all me life! I live in Crossbones Town, Pirateville, but come to Hong Kong sometimes to get away from Captain McGreedy Beard, me arch enemy of land and sea – arrr, he makes me blood boil!!!
What I loves about Hong Kong ’tis open waters AND that I’m the best pirate in Hong Kong too!!
3. When did you decide you wanted to be a pirate?
I comes from a long line o’ pirates. All me family is pirates. They say, when you have a pirate family like mine, that yer ‘blood runs gold!’.
4. What do you love most about what you do?
I loves meeting new shipmates, love making people walk the plank laugh and love counting all me loot!
5. Who inspires you to do what you do?
Mimi the mermaid, my best friend! She’s got a kind heart but it is strong and tough too! Also my gran and her pet crocodile ‘Dilly’.
6. What’s been your favourite adventure so far?
When I won my treasure back from McGreedy Beard, the bilge rat!
7. What’s been the most challenging thing about being a pirate so far?
When it’s time for me Gran’s peg leg replacement and she keeps walking in circles, it takes us ages to get anywhere!